Monday, September 22, 2008

Home Made Halloween Decorations

Now, I hate spending to much money on Halloween costumes. It's such a waist. My mother use to make costumes for my brother and I. They didn't have the money to buy something, so my mother would use her creativity to come up with something that we had around the house. She had this white dress that she wore when she's young for church. I was so petite that I was able to wear it for 3 years, for something different. One year I was a Princess, another year I was an Angel, and for another year I was a bride (my brother was the groom), that one is my favorite! So now I'm trying to do something simiular to that.

I found some ideas, and this is what I'm going to do for my boys.
Tristan who is 3, is going to be a Christmas Present. Brayden who is 19 months is going to be Cotton Candy. As for Jayden, I don't think he's going to go Trick or Treating this year. He's only 7 months, so maybe next year.

Here are the instructions for each costume...

Christmas Present

Materials Needed:
Appropriate-Sized Cardboard Box
Gift wrap
Ribbons and/or Bows
Tape
Any other items you use to decorate your gifts

Instructions:
You need to find a box that will fit over whomever is going to wear it and they should have free movement of their arms and legs. Cut holes in sides of the box for the arms to fit through. Cut the bottom out of the box for the legs to fit through. The shorter the box is, the easier it is to walk! Cut a round hole in top of box for the head to fit through. Wrap the box as you would a Christmas gift. Be generous when taping the cut sections by the holes in the box so the paper won't rip. Also embellish the box with ribbons, bows, and anything else you want.
Now, simply slip the box on (you can wear regular street clothes or just a dark outfit). You can even add a matching bow on top of your head


Cotton Candy Costume

Materials Needed:
White Sweatsuit
White Shoes
Safety Pins
4 or More Yards of Pink Tulle

Instructions:

How much pink tulle you need will depend on the size of the person. It is usually less than $1.00 per yard so you may want to buy extra! Iinstead of pink, you can use a light blue or other typical cotton candy color.
This costume is easy to make. Simply have the costume wearer put on the white sweatsuit and shoes and the loosely wrap them, from the waist up to over their head, with the tulle so it looks like puffing cotton candy! Secure the tulle using safety pins.

No comments: